This was one of my favorite projects ever. It was a tough job with allot of heavy lifting, but it was very rewarding to be able to have rescued the old house and to help preserve this little piece of history for future generations. It's one of those things, that I can say, I'm glad I had a chance to do it, but won't do it again. Kind of like that time I went to Times Square on New Years Eave. The house is now structurally sound & dried in, but it still has a long way to go. The chimney needs to be restored and the entire interior needs to be completed, as well as the windows, that's why they're boarded up in the picture.
As of today, 4/17/19, the property is under contract and will go to the new owners by the end of the month. I really hope the new owners will pick up on this project where I've left off and continue these preservation efforts.
It's finally time to put a roof on this thing. The house originally had a hand split cypress shake roof which would have been beautiful, but today those reproduction materials would have cost 10,000 dollars. That wasn't in the budget, so I opted for a thick 26 gauge 5-V galvanized steel roof. Which is not historically accurate but still has a classic historic look, will last 100 years and was only 1,200 bucks in material cost.
This is an example of how far gone this house was.
Only 7 of the original post in the frame survived.
Off with the 1890's Victorian Porch
This is totally not related to old cars, but this is what a " Trading Company" is all about.... I got my hands into a little bit of everything.
This page features my latest side line project. The Pendleton House in Nixonton NC, built in 1786.
This little building has some historically significant value and is worth preserving for future generations. In my opinion what makes it really unique is that it is not one of the grand mansions that you typically associate with the old South but instead a small hall & parlor built for the simple working class. A structure, which would have been plentiful at the time, but unlikely to last 2 centuries and this one almost didn't make it.
In 1995 the home was scheduled to be demolished to make way for a new ranch house with vinyl siding (yuk)
A group of people banded together to save the old house and had it moved to a nearby location. They spent a whole lot of money to get the restoration under way, but then the organization got unorganized as opinions on which way the restoration should go led into allot of fussin'. The good intentions of all the good people came to a halt as many of them just lost interest and abandoned the project. 22 years went by and the old house sat there being punished by weather & neglect, until there were just 2 people left in the organization who really cared any more, but they realized they didn't have the resources to even preserve the home from further decay, much less restore it. This is when the opportunity came my way to purchase the property with a gentleman's agreement that I would restore the original 18th century portion of the home ( much of what you see in the first photo is an 1840's addition and an 1890's era porch). Although it would have been nice to restore the entire structure back to its Victorian era beauty, we have plenty of Victorian homes around here. In my opinion, it was better to take it back down to what it was in 1786 and show the simplicity of early American living, and since I'm not sharing this project with a committee, then I don't have to fuss with any one over which direction I want to go with it.
My intentions are to save the house by reparing structural damage and installing new siding, roofing, windows & doors. This will in part, preserve the rare 18th century structure. The completion of the interior can be finished by the next owner. Once I do my part in saving the house, it will go on the market with covenants to protect it for future generations. The house will not be livable by modern standards, as it will not have any utilities, but it does sit on a 5 acre lot, so there's plenty of room for a new house and this one can serve as just an accessory building or a good conversation piece.
When I bought it... June 2017
Crackin' open a giant can of worms.
Down with the 1840's addition.
Off w/ the rear addition
Collar ties & rear gambrel rafters installed.
All corner post, door post, diagonal braces and most of the field post were reproduced & replaced using reclaimed material from the dismantled 1840's addition.
Harvey, documenting measurements, nail patterns & ghost marks to make sure it goes back together the right way.
18th Century timber frame trusses. Lath strips & shake believed to be early 20th century work. Some pieces still had the tree bark on the edges from 230 years ago.
Now that all of the additions are out of the way, we've gotten down to the homes original foot print. Next we'll have to remove the entire roof / second floor, from the top plate up to replace all of the ceiling joist, which originally had 9" rafter tails extending over the front & rear wall. These were hacked off when the shed roof addition & the front porch were put on.
The rear shed roof addition was never flashed in properly and unfortunately has caused severe rot of the entire north wall, but we can handle it.
New Ceiling Joist installed & bed chamber floor boards were installed. Mostly reclaimed material from the 1840's addition. Very few of the original 18th century heart pine floor boards survived. Those that did, will be used to restore the floor downstairs. .
The OSB sheathing was an option I was reluctant to go with, but I felt it was a necessary evil for much needed racking strength.
Red Neck Engineering used to lift and pull the sagging top beams back into place.
Reproduction Gambrel Rafters installed
Reproduction Cypress bead lap siding going up. That natural wood color is so pretty. I hate to paint over it.
New Rafters & Furring Strips installed. It's starting to look like a house again.